CKA Clan
all canadian clan & gaming community. canadian battlefield clan, canadian call of duty clan, bf3, bf4

Forums

-> Other Games -> Star Citizen -> Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen (MMO in development)

You are missing out! Many features are stripped out for guests. Register and login.

Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen (MMO in development)

Goto page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next
| | Print
 Share  Share on Facebook
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Canuck_2099

Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen (MMO in development)

Hey all.

One of my EvE Online corpmates hooked me up with this project recently. The developper is the guy who did the Wing Commander / Privateer / Freelancer games.

The idea is to develop a community based space MMO that seems, at least from the development videos, to be very much the idea of what I'd like a space MMO to be.

Anyhow, here's the link to their webpage. The idea is essentially much like GW2 where the game is Free to Play once you buy it with no sub and with a dynamic, ever changing universe.

Check it out and tell me what you think!

Roberst Space Industries - Star Citizen

Regards!
Inspired_Canuck Smile

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 pm
Shuhac

XO

Wow! I love it. Wow... I'm getting it for sure. Just picking my pre-ordered ship now. It looks so cool. I want to know more about the details. Post any more info you find. I'm going to start searching. I'll let you know what ship I pick, when I make up my mind.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm
Highwaym4n

*sounds of running, from a great distance away*

DUDE. YOU SAID FREELANCER. Shocked

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm
Shuhac

XO

Did I? Or should I?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 pm
Shuhac

XO

The RSI site just went down. People just like me looking for more information.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 pm
DeStro

three things:

1)holy crap that dude is in love with himself.

theres really no description of the game whatsoever. he kind of just outlined eve online and didnt make any distinctions.

showing a bunch of clips of pretty spaceships flying around is great. but i could render better cg videos in 2 days, pretend to be making a game, and crowd fund a million dollars.

2) how many times do you guys have to get burned paying the salaries of employees for unfinished games? Don't open your wallet just because you have a nerd boner. The people are getting rich selling games that DONT EVEN FUCKING EXIST YET. *cough war z cough*

3) if you want a REAL nerd boner, check this out.
http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php

Its a space sim in development but likely vaporware although they keep coming back to say they are working on it. Anyways, its completely procedural and star systems are TO SCALE. yes.. meaning when you fly on a planet, its the size of an actual fucking planet. stars are the correct size, and the vastness of space is experienced.. which billions of potential planets, stars etc.. its really quite limitless. watch the tech demos, they are incredible.

4) canuck, im thinking about getting into eve, would you tutor me as it looks incredibly complex for my dumb brain to get wrapped around! Very Happy

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 am
Highwaym4n

Ehh,.. Destro I like your BF3 tutorial, but in the guys defence, Im familiar with his earlier work, and loved freelancer to death and beyond. Ive been waiting for something to replace it, nothing is able to.

So when the guy who made the original steps up and says "Im going on my own", My main concern is hes going to be another Todd McFarlane, all flash and no depth, (and thats a comic book thing,but my point holds) Theres some people that -need- to be stuck on helm, because they dont have the all-roundedness to take the captains chair.

Is he going to grab the money and ghost off? As you pointed out, he loves himself too much. Im not saying he couldnt, I am saying its unlikely.

As for description of the game, maybe you didnt watch the whole video, he basically described the layout of Freelancer, but with a coop element to it, and when youve finished the campaign, you get an opene ended world to play in, and the ability to connect to free servers where you can continue to interact with other players.

On top of that, new content will be released weekly, adding new galaxys (expanses? cant remember what he called them) and theyll get named after the first players to "discover" them. (yes, I can see that going south , without a stringent filter)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:30 am
Canuck_2099

All programmes have the chance to be classified as "vapourware". Remember Blizzard's GHOST or even Valve's Half-Life Episode 3?

I agree that dude's a bit cocky, but I like that in him. It means that he's bent on having something done the way he'd want it done.

I can't say how much of an impact the Wing Commander games (and subsequent Privateer and Freelancer) had on me as a PC gamer. Wing Commander 3 is the reason I paid $3K for a Pentium 60 in fact.

I have always felt that a WC/Privateer/Freelancer/EvE/GW hybrid is my Holy Grail of PC games and as such, I am willing to toss a few bucks into the pool to see it happen.

And if it doesn't... ah well... I won't take my wife out for supper next month.

As for EvE Online, I am a member of a Nul Sec corp in a major Alliance. That means that I don't actually have any active toons in High Security space and as such, aside from the suggestion that you make sure to do the tutorials and read the descriptions and skills.

Also, get an idea early as to the role you'd like to fill with your char. Pirate, industrial, miner, market trader, whatever. Your general idea of what you'd like to do will determine the skills you need to train.

Regards
Optimistic_Canuck Smile

PS - As for getting burned btw, any time I buy a game and, after a short time, realize that I don't like it, I feel burned. BF3 is a good example of that and so was Star Trek Online.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:32 pm
DeStro

for the record, starcraft ghost wasnt being produced by blizzard, it was a 3rd party company and the project was cancelled because it wasnt up to blizzard standards Razz

the biggest thing for me is that games like this that are crowd funded make some really big claims and then fail to deliver on those promises. even triple a titles are guilty of this..
he really didnt show any gameplay.. pre rendered graphics mean absolutely squat to me.

im not comparing it to my bf3 joke tutorial or anything, i meant just that rendering graphics and having a playable and coded game is very different.. the same difference between my job, and that of a game developers.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 am
Shuhac

XO

DeStro makes some good points, but what is life without some risk. Just like WarZ I hope for the best and then bitch when I get let down.

Has anyone paid yet? What ship did you pay for?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:40 am
SeeFernando

What/where is this Tutorial DeStro made?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:03 pm
Shuhac

XO

Soooo...

Any new info yet?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:50 pm
Shuhac

XO

They are adding new digital packages, and extending the crowdfunding. Now we have 22 days left. Something tells me I have even more time to make up my mind. Right now I'm looking at "Make mine a double (digital)" package for $60.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:07 pm
Canuck_2099

That is the package I commited to Shuhac.

They currently have their 2 mil goal via the two sites.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comprehensive-stretch-goals/ (Goals)

So the project is a GO!

Happy_Canuck Smile

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:25 pm
DeStro

don't get me wrong, i'm very interested in the game and really hope it gets developed, but i rather buy a game than the idea of a game.

im just very negative towards the game industry since they like to treat gamers like a neglected wife or something ;p

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 am
Forum Rules:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 10

Goto page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread >

Canadian Gaming Forums topic RSS feed
CKA Network Canadian News | Canadian Forums | Canadian Clothing | Canadian Hotties | Blogging Canadians
Copyright 2007 contact

[ Script generation time: 0.0604s (PHP: 82% - SQL: 18%) ] - [ SQL queries: 47 ]