CKA Clan
all canadian clan & gaming community. canadian battlefield clan, canadian call of duty clan, bf3, bf4

Forums

-> Public Game Forums -> Computing & Technology -> New Gaming Rig, help me to pick the components

You are missing out! Many features are stripped out for guests. Register and login.

New Gaming Rig, help me to pick the components

Goto page Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next
| | Print
 Share  Share on Facebook
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
back_blastnet

Back to the subject.

Its looking like I won't have time/cash to build the machine until at least October. This month is nutz. Caucus Retreat, provincial election, house of commons resuming tomorrow, committees, and all the other things that are bound to happen.

Hopefully by then some of the new stuff is out.

Until then I will still get to enjoy BF3 on my laptop:
http://clan.canadaka.ca/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7349

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:51 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger        
Adro

Oh darn! That's a bummer blastnet, oh well you'll definitely have a better selection of hot new gear to choose from! And I'm glad to hear you'll still be able to game on.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
back_blastnet

Still able to game, but not much time to.

I hope to be able to get on for an hour or two this upcoming Thursday after taking the train from Ottawa to Toronto (so after 11pm) But we'll see what happens. I may just crash

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:23 pm
back_blastnet

Well, we're finally getting into a period where I'll be able to put a bit of focus/time and money into building my new rig.

The House of Commons is supposed to rise Dec. 16th and not be back in session until Jan. 30th (though the rumours circulating indicate we could be done Dec. 9th).

As we're rapidly approaching Christmas, what do people think? Should I build it before or after Christmas???

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:38 am
Joe

right now everything is dirt cheap except hard drives. ram is really low.if funds are around i would be starting it now.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:05 pm
Shuhac

XO

What happened to your gaming laptop… … = question mark

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:37 pm
back_blastnet

There's nothing wrong with my gaming laptop, but I do live in two locations and its a pain in the ass moving the laptop back and forth.

I also rarely get to pull it out during my train trips. Would be nice to be able to leave the laptop in Ottawa and have a proper gaming desktop with 3x 26" monitors.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:43 pm
back_blastnet

Does anyone have any updated recommendations for my new rig?

Processor
Cooling
Motherboard
Video Cards
Storage
RAM
etc...

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:18 pm
abwa269

Intel seems to be kicking AMDs but right now. the 8 core bulldozers are being compared to I5 2500K procs. If you have the budget get a 2600K or 2700K. They are unlocked, and the 2700K can overclock over 4.0GHZ.

Cooling is budget dependant. If you want to overclock, get a corsair cooler, they have good reviews like the H80 or something.

For intel stay with teh Z68 chipsets, they can make use of the onboard intel qualities as well as a dedicated GPU at the same time. You literaly can encode a movie and play a game and the performance wont be affected.

If you buy one of the 6750s from ATI they can be flashed to a 6770.. talk to Canadaka about that.

if you are looking for pure perforamnce than for storage you want 2 SSD drives same size and mirror them, then buy the biggest drive you can for storage.

Don't skimp on the power supply, get a good antec true power or something good or you will kick yourself.

the case is important, make sure you have excelent air flow. That is why I bougth the coolermaster HAF (high air flow) 912. works great.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:53 pm
abwa269

although, if budget is not a factor... you can always buy an EVGA classified motherboard. It support 2 Xeon processors, 48GB memory and 4 way sli/xrossfire.

but it is a 600$ mobo.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:56 pm
Warbladz

CPU : Intel 2600k or amd 980 if its just gaming (if gaming the cpu dont count for much)
Cooling: Corsair Closed loop water cooling (H50,H60,H70,H80,H100) Depending on case , air cooling depends on case and cpu
Motherboard:(intel)asus , gigabyte,& MSI - perferably z68 (chipset)
(amd) asus / gigabyte (crosshair V) perferably (990 chipset)
VideoCards: nvidia (evga,asus,gigabyte,msi) 570 ,
amd (asus/gigabyte/msi) 6970
secondary cards nvidia 560ti , amd 6950
Hard Drive: western digital black edition 7200 rpm 32/64 mb cache
SSD Crucial
Ram: ddr3 1600 gskil ripwasx , corsair dominator , kingston hyperx

These are just suggestions on products ive used recently that worked well , if you have time we can talk prices and product models

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:48 pm
back_blastnet

Oh I have time to talk about it, when are you gonna be online Bladz?

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:23 am
IndoAssassin

or if you can wait for ivy bridge. The top end of this processor is rated to be 77W TDP. So think how much you can overclock that sucker.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:34 pm
back_blastnet

Hey Indo, the big question would be more how much of a kick to the wallet will it be to get that when it comes out?

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:58 pm
Warbladz

you remember the first time you got kicked in the balls , its around the same
hehe

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Forum Rules: